On Friday 11th February, the Disney Wish hit water for the first time when it floated out of an enclosed building dock at the Meyer Werft shipyard in Papenburg, Germany.
Marking the world’s first look at the newest Disney Cruise Line ship, the major construction milestone was celebrated in true Disney style with fireworks, musical fanfare and a special appearance by Captain Minnie Mouse.
- It took about five hours and 29 million gallons (110,000 cubic meters) of water from the River Ems to flood the building dock, followed by a breathtaking exit as the ship sailed out with only 3 feet of clearance on either side.
- The ship will sail its maiden voyage on July 14 from Port Canaveral, Florida.
- The Disney Wish is the first of three new Disney Cruise Line ships to be built at the Meyer Werft shipyard through 2025. Each will be powered by liquefied natural gas and weigh approximately 144,000 gross tons.
Disney Wish Fun Facts and Additional Information:
- The ship will be filled with innovative new experiences steeped in Disney storytelling, including the first-ever Disney attraction at sea, immersive dining experiences themed to “Frozen” and Marvel, and a high-end lounge set in the Star Wars galaxy.
- The signature stern sculpture features Rapunzel and her pal Pascal, who “saw the light” for the first time today.
- One of the two iconic red funnels will house a first-of-its-kind, two-story suite. It’s nearly 2,000 square feet with incredible double-height ocean views — an enchanted penthouse in the sky!
- Artwork on the ship’s bow depicts Captain Minnie Mouse for the first time, solidifying her place at the forefront of the fleet’s future.
- Like all Disney Cruise Line ships, the exterior design of the Disney Wish is inspired by classic ocean liners and decked out in the emblematic colors of Mickey Mouse.
- The Disney Wish will sail three- and four-night itineraries to Nassau, Bahamas, and Disney’s private island, Castaway Cay, from Port Canaveral, Florida – only an hour from Walt Disney World Resort.
To learn more about Disney Cruise Line or to book a holiday, guests can visit disneycruise.com, call Disney Cruise Line on 0800 171 2317 or contact a travel agent.